Re: Is it possible to control C.O.P

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Robert Hancock wrote:

> Luigi Genoni wrote:
> > HI,
> > there is a way that the kernel could cope with CPU Overheating Protection?
> >
> > I am usng a Tyan MPX with Dual AthlonMP, but COP is configured to shutdown
> > the system toot early, when the temparature is still low.
>
> I'm guessing this is controlled by the BIOS and handled by hardware, so I
> don't know that there's much the kernel can do about it. Is there a threshold
> temperature setting in the BIOS?

Not sure what you mean by "shutdown" - the OS shuts down the system
cleanly or the BIOS just switches off the power? If the former, you, most
probably, just have wrongly configured sensors. I had a problem with
fictitious CPU overheating, until I modified my /etc/sensors.conf. Just
ask on [email protected] - no need to subscribe, people are
very helpful there.

HTH
Guennadi
---