RE: The Linux FAT issue on SD Cards.. maintainer support please

Dear Marc,

I have doubt about the driver?
I do NOT support the partitions in my driver. I mean I have implemented
it as alloc_disk(1) i.e. 0 partitions.
Is this what is creating the HAVOC to mount my SD card?
Do I need to support the partitions in my driver to support mounting SD
cards formatted in DIGITAL CAMERAS?(clarity needed)

I have an update on the CAM formatted SD.

SECTOR-0 Description:
Bytes		0   		446
512
Details	|-  MB code -| - partition + signature	 |
					Table

I dumped the 1st sector of SD when formatted on
	1) CAM &
	2) Windows
Yes, the partition table exists on both.
The only protruding difference I find is the Master Boot Code. Can you
comment on the Master Boot Code?

I tried copying the windows SD first 446 bytes to CAM SD first 446
bytes.
I am able to mount but I am loosing the data.

I have attached the files. Please have a look at them

	Cluster-0.txt - First 16 Blocks of the device
	Phy-Cam-57-sector.txt - 57th sector of the device (claimed FAT
in
Partition table)

Thanks & Regards,
Mukund Jampala

SD
>> cards formatted in windows & linux.
>>
>> I have identified fat_fill_super() in fs/fat/inode.c file as the
>> function that reads the super block of as MS-DOS FS.
>>
>> To debug, I have rebuilt my kernel 2.6.10 inserting some debug
messages
>> in the FS sub-system to know what data is coming into "struct
>> fat_boot_sector *b" structure in fs/fat/inode.c file after sb_bread()
>> call.
>>
>> I believe that this data in the "struct fat_boot_sector *b" should be
>> FAT12 information.
>>
>> On the camera formatted SD that is NOT mounting I have found this
>> structure to be all '0' till total_sectors variable (relevant till
here
>> on - FAT12).
>>
>> Will you please verify if there & tell me if the problem is in the
FAT
>> sub-system.
>
>Alternatively, you can dump the first block of the device/partition.
>From that, you can determine if there is a partition table.  In any
>case, you can read the first block of the partition (or whole device)
>and get the filesystem parameter block.
>
>It should be easy from there to determine if the data can be
>recognized as FAT.

ë?         Gpø 9?)NO NAME    FAT12   UªøÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿøÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿNIKON001DSC"!0MISC       !0!0DCIM       !0!0
?`Á9GpUª