Re: SiI 3112A + Seagate HDs = still no go?

Chris Boot wrote:
Hi all,

I just recently took the plunge and bought 4 250 GB Seagate drives and a 2 port Silicon Image 3112A controller card for the 2 drives my motherboard doesn't handle. No matter how hard I try, I can't get the hard drives to work: they are detected correctly and work reasonably well under _very_ light load, but anything like building a RAID array is a bit much and the whole controller seems to lock up.

I've tried adding the drive to the blacklist in the sata_sil.c driver and I still have the same trouble: as you can see the messages below relate to my patched kernel with the blacklist fix. I've seen that this was discussed just yesterday, but that seemed to give nothing: http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0508.1/0310.html

Ready and willing to hack my kernel to pieces; this machine is no use until I get all the drives working! Needless to say the drives connected to the on-board VIA controller work fine, as do the drives currently on the SiI controller if I swap them around.

Any ideas?

TIA
Chris

[added linux-ide to cc list]

Can you please try w/ vanilla kernel (2.6.12 or 2.6.13-rc)? And w/ one drive only?

--
tejun