Re: Partitioning problems on x86_64 (fwd)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> The kernel won't reread the partition table as long as ANY part of that
> disk is mounted.  Reboot (which of course unmounts everything) to reread
> the partition table.

 OK, I've noted that now, thanks for the clue.

> Just any reboot should have worked.  Once you reboot it reads the
> updated partition table and THEN you can mkfs the new partitions.  Until
> /proc/partitions matches what you see in fdisk, you really don't want to
> try access the partitions since it won't match on the next boot anyhow.
>
> Len Sorensen

 It certainly _seemed_ that the kernel was telling me one thing and
fdisk -l another, even after a reboot.  But because I hadn't appreciated
the importance of rebooting before accessing the new partitions, I
probably threw in some extra 'mkfs' commands to spice up the mix.

Ken