Re: NCQ support NVidia NForce4 (CK804) SATAII

Allen Martin schrieb:

Erm, why they are not willing to support NCQ under Linux...I mean many people using NVIDIA based mainboards. And that against that what I thought NVidia stands for - Linux friendly but seems only that this statement fit on graficcards? Is there no "responsible" person that says...Hello, Linux is a growing market that we need to serve? With full driver/program support?

Likely the only way nForce4 NCQ support could be added under Linux would
be with a closed source binary driver, and no one really wants that,
especially for storage / boot volume.

Who won't have drivers for Linux? Who told you that..?
It would be a start point if closed or not closed source but say never ever as your mail suggest is not a way to go.Whats about Servers that using NForce Based Chipsets and they need NCQ? Always saying not needed or so hard to hand out specs..is the lazy way that a company like NVidia shouldn't go.

 We decided it wasn't worth the
headache of a binary driver for this one feature.

Yes,you Nvidia decide..what's about the costumer dosn't the costumer option counts? It's the A and the O of costumer relationship. Holding up a possiblity is better than say: "Oh, the costumers buy our hardware but have no right to use it at all." So I paid 120€ for a NVidia Nforce4 and 3 Mainboard..and what..I can't use it correctly only in Windows? NVidia seems only interesseted in GPU market so they hand out a bit of drivers...mh they are also closed source..so the argument you offered aboved is senseless...because NVidia do so for quite a long time.

 Future nForce
chipsets will have a redesigned SATA controller where we can be more
open about documenting it.

-Allen

So this was the last piece of NVidia I bought...about 400 Workstation ..is not the worth.

Michael

--
Michael Thonke
IT-Systemintegrator /