Re: [2.6 patch] remove support for gcc < 3.2

David S. Miller wrote:
From: Adrian Bunk <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 00:26:07 +0200

- my impression is that the older compilers are only rarely
 used, so miscompilations of a driver with an old gcc might
 not be detected for a longer amount of time

Many people still use 2.95 because it's still the fastest
way to get a kernel build done and that's important for
many people.

And with 4.0 being a scary regression in the compile time
performance area compared to 3.4, this becomes even more
important to keep around.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but it seems that the gcc project, at least WRT x86, has lost its way a bit. The compiler is getting slower, and the generated code is not getting correspondingly faster. Or smaller. I'm not sure about more correct...

Keeping 2.95 might not be a bad idea.

--
   -bill davidsen ([email protected])