Re: How to reclaim inode pages on demand

Mel Gorman <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > Mel Gorman <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The majority of pages I am seeing no longer have page->mapping set. Does
> > > this mean they are in the process of being cleared up?
> >
> > They're just anonymous pages, aren't they?  But you said "pages that are
> > being used for inodes".  Confused.
> >

> So am I, I'm missing something really stupid.
>
> What I have is the following;
>
> 1. Add a new flag GFP_INODE to mark inode pages
> 2. Add a GFP_INODE to the flags passed to mapping_set_gfp_mask() in
>    fs/inode.c#alloc_inode(). This means that the page allocator will now
>    know when it is allocating pages for inodes
> 3. Added a PG_inode flag for page->flags which will flag all pages that
>    were allocated for inodes
>
> (Note, I don't intend to use this flags in the long term, I've added them
> for investigation purposes).
>
> I later linearly scan the mem_map looking for pages that can be freed up
> (usually LRU pages). I was expecting any page with PG_inode set to have a
> page->mapping but not all of them do. It is the pages without a ->mapping
> that are confusing the hell out of me.

Well there are conditions in which mmapped file pages can get converted to
anonymous pages due to truncate(), but I have a feeling that we stopped
that from happening.

Also there are situations in which truncate of a still-committing ext3
pagecache page can cause the page to remain ont he page LRUs - it's been
truncated from the file, but ext4 still has a hold of it for journalling
purposes.

You cold lock the pages then check ->mapping.