Re: allow the load to grow upto its cpu_power (was Re: [Patch] don't kick ALB in the presence of pinned task)

Siddha, Suresh B wrote:

For example, lets take two nodes each having two physical packages. And
assume that there are two tasks and both of them are on (may or may n't be
pinned) two packages in node-0

Todays load balance will detect that there is an imbalance between the
two nodes and will try to distribute the load between the nodes.

In general, we should allow the load of a group to grow upto its cpu_power
and stop preventing these costly movements.

Appended patch will fix this. I have done limited testing of this patch.
Guys with big NUMA boxes, please give this patch a try.
--

When the system is lightly loaded, don't bother about the average load.
In this case, allow the load of a sched group to grow upto its cpu_power.

Yeah this makes sense. Thanks.

I think we'll only need your first line change to fix this, though.

Your second change will break situations where a single group is very
loaded, but it is in a domain with lots of cpu_power
(total_load <= total_power).

Nick