Re: [RFC][patch 0/2] mm: remove PageReserved

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 10:15, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > Why don't you pass the vma in zap_details?  For that matter, why are addr
> > and end still passed down the zap chain when zap_details appears to
> > duplicate that information?  OK, it is because zap_details is NULL in
> > about twice as many places as it carries data.  But since the details
> > parameter is already there, would it not make sense to press it into
> > service to slim down those parameter lists a little?
>
> Possibly. I initially did it that way, but it ended up fattening
> paths that don't use details.

It should not, it only affects, hmm, less than 10 places, each at the
beginning of a massive call chain, e.g., in madvise_dontneed:

-	zap_page_range(vma, start, end - start, NULL);
+	zap_page_range(start, end - start, &(struct zap){ .vma = vma });

> And this way is less intrusive.

Nearly the same I think, and makes forward progress in controlling this
middle-aged belly roll of an internal API.

Regards,

Daniel