Re: [patch] i386 dynamic ticks 2.6.13-rc4 (code reordered)

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 02:43:55PM +1000, Con Kolivas wrote:
> This is a code reordered version of the dynamic ticks patch from Tony Lindgen
> and Tuukka Tikkanen - sorry about spamming your mail boxes with this, but
> thanks for the code. There is significant renewed interest by the lkml
> audience for such a feature which is why I'm butchering your code (sorry
> again if you don't like me doing this). The only real difference between your
> code and this patch is moving the #ifdef'd code out of code paths and putting
> it into dyn-tick specific files.
>
> This has slightly more build fixes than the last one I posted and boots and
> runs fine on my laptop. So far at absolute idle it appears this pentiumM 1.7
> is claiming to have _25%_ more battery life. I'll need to investigate further
> to see the real power savings.

Hi Con,

I had a chance to try out your patch (2.6.13-rc4-dtck-2.patch) and
using either the APIC or PIT timer, if dynamic tick is enabled, on my
laptop, this kicks up the bus mastering activity enough so that the
processor doesn't have a chance to enter the C4 state, and stays stuck
at C2.  As a result, enabling dynamic tick _increases_ power
consumption by 20% on my T40 laptop (1.6 MHz Pentium M).  I monitored
power utilization using pmstats-0.2, and used
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU/power to monitor bus mastering activity and the CPU C-states.

As soon as I disabled dynamic tick using:

	echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/timer/timer0/dyn_tick_state

The number of ticks went up to 1024, bus mastering activity dropped to
zero, and the processor entered C4 state, and power utilization
dropped by 20%.

When I enabled dynamic tick using:

	echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/timer/timer0/dyn_tick_state

The number of ticks dropped down to 60-70 HZ, bus mastering activity
jumpped up to being almost always active, and the processor stayed
stuck at C2 state, and power utilization climbed back up by 20%.

This was on a completely idle, freshly booted machine, without X
running and just a console login.

						- Ted