Re: How to get the physical page addresses from a kernel virtual address for DMA SG List?

Hello, Dick!

Thanks for your help so far!

linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:

You are trying to do it backwards. You need to have your driver
use get_dma_pages() to acquire pages suitable for DMA. Your
driver then impliments mmap().

Okay, I have seen that, too. I've seen that some drivers do it the other
way around as I do, but I still try to follow my idea that the
application allocs the memory and the dma / the driver fills it up.
Or are there fundamental problems I get with my approach which I haven't seen yet?

The user-mode application then mmaps() the dma-able pages into
its address-space. FYI, the pages may be from anywhere, some
archs can only DMA to/from memory below 16MB.

My DMA machine (ppc32, mpc8540 cpu) can do the whole 32bit phys address
space so, that's not an issue here.

The pages do not have
to be continuous because you will build a scatter-list for
the DMA engine and you will mmap() the pages so they are
contiguous to the user.

Yes, only virtual space is contigous. The DMA can do nice
sg_lists and chained sg_lists, so, this should not be a problem,
too.

Also 400 Megabytes is absurd.

Why?
Actually I am planning to alloc more than 1.5GByte at once,
lock that down, build a big sg_list for all that memory because
I need to _continously_ feed it with data from the DMA. I get
about 200MBytes/sec and I cannot stop in between!

Greets,

Clemens