Re: Documentation - how to apply patches for various trees

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 23:46, Bodo Eggert wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Jesper Juhl wrote:
>
> > +What is a patch?
>
> > +To correctly apply a patch you need to know what base it was generated from
> > +and what new version the patch will change the source tree into. These
> > +should both be present in the patch file metadata.
>
> This is usurally not true for kernel patches, the directories are mostly
> named a and b. You can however deduce the to-bepatched version and the
> patched version from the filename.

hmm, I'd say the patch filename could be considered "metadata" as well.

> [...]
>
> Or: bzcat patch1 patch2 patch3 | (cd linux-oldversion && patch -p1)

yes, there are many ways, impossible to list them all, but this might be a
good example to add, just to show application of several patches in one go.

<snip lots of good stuff>

I need to get some sleep now, but I'll add most of your text to the document
tomorrow and post a new patch.

Thanks!

--
Jesper