buglet reading /proc/ide/(cdrom)/capacity

Just a minor buglet I've noticed /proc/ide/hdc/cdrom (where hdc is my
CDROM drive - Liteon 52x32x52).

If I cat this file while inserting the CDROM the command hangs, then
returns 304912 (fine).

If I insert a CDROM, then wait a while (say 30 seconds), then
it returns 304912 (also fine).

However if I insert a CDROM, then wait until the light stops flashing
(5 seconds) then I get: "0\n4912"  like this:

cat //proc/ide/hdc/capacity | od -c
0000000   0  \n   4   9   1   2  \n

I've checked with another CD and it is the first two characters being
overwritten.

PS: I'm not currently subscribed to the list, so please Cc me.

Thanks,

Adrian
--
Email: [email protected]  -*-  GPG key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux - the maintainable distribution   -*-  www.debian.org