Re: [patch 2.6.13-rc4] fix get_user_pages bug

Hugh Dickins wrote:

Stupidity was the reason I thought handle_mm_fault couldn't be inline:
I was picturing it static inline within mm/memory.c, failed to make the
great intellectual leap you've achieved by moving it to include/linux/mm.h.

Well it was one of my finer moments, so don't be too hard on
yourself.

No, I don't think it would break anything: it's just an historic oddity,
used to be -1 for failure, and only got given a name recently, I think
when wli added the proper major/minor counting.

Your version of the patch looks less hacky to me (not requiring
VM_FAULT_WRITE_EXPECTED arg), though we could perfectly well remove
that at leisure by adding VM_FAULT_WRITE case into all the arches in
2.6.14 (which might be preferable to leaving the __inline obscurity?).

Well depends on what they want I suppose. Does it even make sense
to expose VM_FAULT_WRITE to arch code if it will just fall through
to VM_FAULT_MINOR?

With my earlier VM_FAULT_RACE thing, you can squint and say that's
a different case to VM_FAULT_MINOR - and accordingly not increment
the minor fault count. Afterall, minor faults *seem* to track count
of modifications made to the pte entry minus major faults, rather
than the number of times the hardware traps. I say this because we
increment the number in get_user_pages too.

But...

I don't mind either way, but since you've not yet found an actual
error in mine, I'd prefer you to make yours a tidyup patch on top,
Signed-off-by your own good self, and let Linus decide whether he
wants to apply yours on top or not.  Or perhaps the decision rests
for the moment with Robin, whether he gets his customer to test
yours or mine - whichever is tested is the one which should go in.

I agree that for the moment we probably just want something that
works. I'd be just as happy to go with your patch as is for now.

Nick

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.