Re: dynamic ticks for 2.6.13-rc4 & bad gzip

* Con Kolivas <[email protected]> [050801 18:24]:
> Hi Tony, LKML
>
> Since there appears to be renewed interest of late in dynamic ticks...
>
> You didn't respond with my last patch for dynamic ticks so I assume that's
> because you threw up when you saw what a mess it is. Anyway I'm sorry for
> sending you that naive mess the first time around.

Hehe, my strategy of lame response and sloppy patches seems to be working
then! :)

> Here is a full patch for 2.6.13-rc4 pushing code out of common paths and into
> dyn-tick.h where possible that builds on any config I can throw on it so far.
> I'm having trouble with "bad gzip magic" on boot with this one so I'm not
> really sure what's going on. Perhaps someone on the mailing list can shed
> some light on it.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate help on getting this thing cleaned up for
x86 + PPC. The ARM version is already merged to mainline, but that's did
not have all the legacy issues, and ARM has nice sys_timer...

I'll try out your patch today at some point, and will post a merged patches
that also integrate the PPC support.

I don't understand the "bad gzip magic", that happens while uncompressing
before kernel boots, right?

Regards,

Tony