Re: Clock resolution / RT preemption

greg wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a timer resolution lower than 1 ms (and monotonic clock rate) destined to be used with some network code running on x86 platforms. Would you please provide me with informations about how to get/implement this.

AFAIK, there's a "high resultion timer" patch hanging around, but there's not much informations with regard to portability (specific hardware requirements ?), scalability, integration with RT patches. I understand the POSIX 1003.1b Clocks and Timers system calls are not fully available within the linux kernel (and libc ?), am I right on that ?

On the HRT web site (see signature) there is a CVS repository. In there is a special version for the RT kernel. As to porting it to other archs, have a look at the include/linux/hrtimer.h file. It has (or should have) all you need to know. Please pass back any port you do.

One more question : I believe Ingo's preemption patch run timers/interrupt handlers within kernel threads, how should I assign specific priority to address my goals without compromising system stability ?

Carefully :)

--
George Anzinger   [email protected]
HRT (High-res-timers):  http://sourceforge.net/projects/high-res-timers/