Re: [Hdaps-devel] Re: IBM HDAPS, I need a tip.

hard drive parking was already sorted out. We have a script that does this
and works great parking the heads.

Would have to disagree with you here. Jens' ATA7 parking code is a great start but we still have a couple of issues to address before it's usable for this purpose. (1) it only works on a subset of the devices that the Windows driver works for, and (2) we need a way to freeze the device for a short period so that the next I/O request doesn't wake it up before it hits the floor...

The problem here is that we have 10 different models.

One will have 20 as X and the others will have 500 as x. Some will increment
in 20 when you move them 45Deg, and some will increment 50.

How can you determine from an shake, to a fall?

If there really are devices with resting values of 20 then I would agree we have a problem. I've tried on a few different Thinkpads and have always seen resting values of several hundreds. If this is true for all, I would like to think we could estimate a sensible value that works for everyone...

Regards,
Jon.