Re: Kernel cached memory

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:47:50PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> >On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 05:46:58PM +0800, Ashley wrote:
> >
> >>  I've a server with 2 Operton 64bit CPU and 12G memory, and this server
> >>is used to run  applications which will comsume huge memory,
> >>the problem is: when this aplications exits,  the free memory of the
> >>server is still very low(accroding to the output of "top"), and
> >>from the output of command "free", I can see that many GB memory was
> >>cached by kernel. Does anyone know how to free the kernel cached
> >>memory? thanks in advance.
> >

> >It's a very - very - very old and bad logic (at least nowdays) from the
> >stone age to free up memory.
>
> It's very Microsoft to claim that the OS always knows best, and not let
> the user tune the system the way they want it tuned. And if that means
> to leave a bunch of free memory for absolute fastest availability, the
> admin should have that option.

Sure, sorry if my comment can be treated in this way ... I mean surprising
amount of people I've met criticised Linux (well, some years ago when DOS
was popular) that he/she want to see that 'free memory' field reported eg by
'top' should be the maximum all the time ... I mean this way: this is the
behaviour which is quite wrong, I've written about this.

Sure, because of my not too good English, I may have missed the real meaning
of the mail, sorry about it!

--
- Gábor