amd74xx (nforce) driver problem ?

Hi,

I have a system based on the Nforce2 chipset which uses the amd7xx
driver for it's IDE support, and I noticed that one of the drives was
performing very slowly.  I looked into it a bit more and it seems the
drive was operating as UDMA33 instead of UDMA100 for some reason.

The affected drive was getting about 20-25Mb/sec sequential read (dumb
hdparm test) while a similar drive on the other channel was getting
about 45-50 Mb/sec.  The drive on the other channel was operating at
UDMA100.  Both drives are attached using the proper 80-wire cable.

Kernel is 2.6.13-rc4

If I go into the bios and twiddle an "IDE Master" setting from the
"none" to the "auto" setting then the driver operates at the expected
speed.

I'm confused though why the driver never correctly set up that IDE
channel?  It claims in the kernel log that it detected the BIOS
borkage:

NFORCE2: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:09.0
NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
NFORCE2: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
NFORCE2: BIOS didn't set cable bits correctly. Enabling workaround.
NFORCE2: 0000:00:09.0 (rev a2) UDMA133 controller
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA

Shouldn't the driver set the channel to UDMA100 after it detects the BIOS
set up the chip improperly, or am I mistaken about this behavior?  Isn't
that the "workaround" or does that mean something else?

Here is the output of /proc/ide/amd74xx: