Syncing single filesystem (slow USB writing)

Mandrake always mounted USB sticks with sync option; it was effectively noop
except for a patch that implemented limited dsync semantic.

Now, when full sync support for FATis in kernel, moutning with sync became
real pain. Writing speed dropped from 3MB/s to 30KB/s in my case (and I am
not alone).

One idea how to improve situation - continue to mount with dsync (having
basically old case) and do frequent sync of filesystem (this culd be started
as HAL callout or whatever). Unfortunately, I could not find a way to request
a sync (flush) of single mount point or block device. Have I missed
something?

TIA

-andrey