Re: Re: Kernel doesn't free Cached Memory

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:02:05AM -0300, Vinicius wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 08:27 -0300, Vinicius wrote:
> [...]
> >>    I have a server with 2 Pentium 4 HT processors and 32 GB of >>RAM,
> this
> >> server runs lots of applications that consume lots of memory to. >>When I
> >>stop
> >> this applications, the kernel doesn't free memory (the  memory >>still in
> >>use)
> >> and the server cache lots of memory (~27GB). When I start this
> >>applications,
> >> the kernel sends  "Out of Memory" messages and kill some random
> >> applications.
> >>
> >>    Anyone know how can I reduce the kernel cached memory on RHEL >>3
> (kernel
> >> 2.4.21-32.ELsmp - Trial version)? There is a way to reduce the >>kernel
> >>cached
> >> memory utilization?
>
> >Probably RedHat's support can answer this for RHEL 3.
> >
> >	Bernd
>
> Bernd,
>
>    The server runs RHEL Trial Version, without support... for tests purpose.

The answers you already got are:
- for that much memory, 64bit processors are really recommended
- 2.6 kernels are a better choice for this scenario
- linux-kernel doesn't support vendor kernels, does the same problem
  occur with kernel 2.6.12 ?

Another thing that surprises me is that why you are testing an old
version of RHEL.

If you want to build a new system, you should better test RHEL 4.

> Vinicius.
> Protolink Consultoria.

cu
Adrian