Re: PROBLEM:Machine hangs on pulling out USB cd writer on laptop.

Alejandro Bonilla wrote:

Puneet Vyas wrote:

PS : I am not even sure if I am "allowed" to pull out the writer like this. Am I supposed to "stop" the device first or something?

You are supoused to unmount the volume. Try it. umount /dev/cdrom ? Make sure that is it not in use, then unload it. New versions of gnome and so have the option to right click the loaded device and then to unmount.

It should never hang. Does it hang with the floppy when removed?

1. When I did umount /dev/cdrom it says - "umount: /dev/hdc is not mounted (according to mtab)"
2. Yes

Thanks,
Puneet