Re: Kernel cached memory

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 at 12:47:50 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> > It's a very - very - very old and bad logic (at least nowdays) from the
> > stone age to free up memory.
>
> It's very Microsoft to claim that the OS always knows best, and not let
> the user tune the system the way they want it tuned.

Ironically, Microsoft offers a choice here.

In the registry (NT and W2K at least, don't know about XP:)

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Session Manager\Memory Management
        LargeSystemCache : REG_DWORD
                0: prefer application code over cached data
                1: prefer cached data

Also:

        DisablePagingExecutive : REG_DWORD
                1: don't allow kernel code to be paged out

        IOPageLockLimit : REG_DWORD
                controls the amount of memory that can be locked for I/O

__
Chuck