Re: Re: Problem while inserting pciehp (PCI Express Hot-plug) driver

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 06:01:22PM +0900, Rajat Jain
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to use the PCI Express Hot-Plug Controller driver
> > (pciehp.ko) with Kernel 2.6 so that I can get hot-plug events
> > whenever I add a card to my PCI Express slot.
> >
> > I built the driver as a module, and am trying to load it
> > manually using modprobe. However, when trying to insert,
> > I'm getting the following error:
> >
> > pciehp: acpi_pciehprm:\_SB.PCI0 _OSC fails=0x5
> > pciehp: Both _OSC and OSHP methods do not exist
> > FATAL: Error inserting pciehp
> >
> > (/lib/modules/2.6.9-5.18AXcustom-hotplug/kernel/drivers/pci/hotplug/pciehp.ko):
> > No such device
> >

> --- Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> Your bios does not support pci express hotplug.  Are
> you sure you have pci express hotplug hardware in your
> system?  If so, contact your bios vendor to get an
> updated version.
>
> Good luck,
>
>  greg k-h

Thanks for replying Greg. I checked again, I have the hardware in my
system. I asked the vendor for bios update, but he says mine is the
latest version.

I downloaded the Intel "iasl" compiler
(http://developer.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi/downloads.htm),  and
used it to decompile "/proc/acpi/dsdt" file (in AML) to its equivalent
ACPI source code. I could not find the _OSC and OSHP control methods
there. Is this information sufficient enough to deduce that I need a
BIOS update? And the hardware is OK but the problem is with the bios?

Just out of curosity, I would appreciate if you could provide me
pointers to OSHP and _OSC methods. What exactly do they mean? Does
every hardware containing a hot-plug controller necessarily has to
implement them both? I checked with ACPI Specs but it contains no
refrence to "OSHP" method.

Any pointers are more than appreciated,

TIA,

Rajat