Re: Giving developers clue how many testers verified certain kernel version

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 03:34:09AM +0200, Martin MOKREJ? wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Martin,

>  I think the discussion going on here in another thread about lack
> of positive information on how many testers successfully tested certain
> kernel version can be easily solved with real solution.
>
>  How about opening separate "project" in bugzilla.kernel.org named
> kernel-testers or whatever, where whenever cvs/svn/bk gatekeepers
> would release some kernel patch, would open an empty "bugreport"
> for that version, say for 2.6.13-rc3-git4.
>
>  Anybody willing to join the crew who cared to download the patch
> and tested the kernel would post just a single comment/follow-up
> to _that_ "bugreport" with either "positive" rating or URL
> of his own bugreport with some new bug. When the bug get's closed
> it would be immediately obvious in the 2.6.13-rc3-git4 bug ticket
> as that bug will be striked-through as closed.
>
>  Then, we could easily just browse through and see that 2.6.13-rc2
> was tested by 33 fellows while 3 of them found a problem and 2 such
> problems were closed since then.

most likely, only a small minory of the people downloading a patch would
register at such a "project".

The important part of the work, the bug reports, can already today go to
lnux-kernel and/or the Bugzilla.

You'd spend efforts for such a "project" that would only produce some
numbers of questionable value.

> Martin

cu
Adrian