Re: [patch 2.6.13-rc3a] i386: inline restore_fpu

> > We do have the `used_math' optimisation in there which attempts to avoid
> > doing the FP save/restore if the app isn't actually using math.
>
> No, it's more than that. There's a per-processor "used_math" flag to
> determine if we need to _initialize_ the FPU, but on context switches we
> always assume the program we're switching to will _not_ use FP, and we
> just set the "fault on FP" flag and do not normally restore FP state.

This shows room for optimization; if an app is consistently faulting to
use FP after a context switch, in principle the kernel could start to
assume that it will in the next timeslice as well.

> On the other hand, I also wouldn't be surprised if glibc (or similar

I doubt glibc is normally, at least most distros don't ship an SSE
enabled glibc, only an "i686" one.