Re: 2.6.13-rc3-mm1 (ckrm)

Gerrit Huizenga wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:06:14 +1000, Peter Williams wrote:

Paul Jackson wrote:

Matthew wrote:

I don't see the large ifdefs you're referring to in -mm's
kernel/sched.c.

Perhaps someone who knows CKRM better than I can explain why the CKRM
version in some SuSE releases based on 2.6.5 kernels has substantial
code and some large ifdef's in sched.c, but the CKRM in *-mm doesn't.
Or perhaps I'm confused.  There's a good chance that this represents
ongoing improvements that CKRM is making to reduce their footprint
in core kernel code.  Or perhaps there is a more sophisticated cpu
controller in the SuSE kernel.

As there is NO CKRM cpu controller in 2.6.13-rc3-mm1 (that I can see) the one in 2.6.5 is certainly more sophisticated :-). So the reason that the considerable mangling of sched.c evident in SuSE's 2.6.5 kernel source is not present is that the cpu controller is not included in these patches.

Yeah - I don't really consider the current CPU controller code something
 ready for consideration yet for mainline merging.  That doesn't mean
 we don't want a CPU controller for CKRM - just that what we have
 doesn't integrate cleanly/nicely with mainline.

I imagine that the cpu controller is missing from this version of CKRM because the bugs introduced to the cpu controller during upgrading from 2.6.5 to 2.6.10 version have not yet been resolved.

 I don't know what bugs you are referring to here.  I don't think we
 have any open defects with SuSE on the CPU scheduler in their releases.
 And that is not at all related to the reason for not having a CPU
 controller in the current patch set.

The bugs were in the patches for the 2.6.10 kernel not SuSE's 2.6.5 kernel. I reported some of them to the ckrm-tech mailing list at the time. There were changes to the vanilla scheduler between 2.6.5 and 2.6.10 that were not handled properly when the CKRM scheduler was upgraded to the 2.6.10 kernel.

Peter
--
Peter Williams                                   [email protected]

 -- Ambrose Bierce