Re: 2.6.12 PREEMPT_RT && PPC

On Thursday 21 July 2005 00:48, john cooper wrote:
>Ingo,
>     Attached is a patch for 51-28 which brings PPC
>up to date for 2.6.12 PREEMPT_RT.  My goal was to
>get a more recent vintage of this work building and
>minimally booting for PPC.  Yet this has been stable
>even under our internal stress tests.  We now have
>this running on 8560 and 8260 PPC targets with a few
>others in the pipe.
>
>Remaining are a few known BUG asserts to address,
>but as we've historically been chasing seemingly
>PPC-specific (or perhaps usage-specific) problems in
>a fairly old code base it seemed high time to move
>forward.  I've also applied the same patch to 51-33
>which not being very far from 51-28 did apply clean,
>builds, boots, and appears equally stable as 51-28.
>
>In the process of producing the patch I stumbled
>across a change introduced in 51-15 where in the
>case of PREEMPT_RT it appears hw_irq_controller.end()
>is never being called at the end of do_hardirq().
>This appears to be an oversight in the code and
>the existing PPC openpic code does register a end()
>handler which it expects to be called in order to
>terminate the interrupt.  Otherwise interrupts at
>the current level are effectively disabled.

Humm, I wondering out loud if this is the video dma failure in tvtime?
Anyway, it applied cleanly over -33, and is building now, set for
mode=4.

Rebooted, running it now, and no, this wasn't it, tvtime still has a
BSOD with good audio.  However, where before I got about 4-6 cx88
interrupts for a short run of tvtime each time I ran it, now I'm
showing only 4 regardless.  Even if I leave it runnng, the count is
stuck at 4.

I wonder if those 4 are associated with the initial insmod?
I've rmmod cx8800 cx88-dvb, then modprobe cx88-dvb which then shows
the cx8800 module (unused) in an lsmod, but a cat of /proc/interrupts
now shows 2 of them:

17:          4  IO-APIC-level  [........../  0]  cx88[0], cx88[0]

But I'll run this for a bit & see what else falls off on the
curves. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)