Re: a 15 GB file on tmpfs

On 7/20/05, Erik Mouw <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 02:16:36PM +0200, Bastiaan Naber wrote:
> > I have a 15 GB file which I want to place in memory via tmpfs. I want to do
> > this because I need to have this data accessible with a very low seek time.
>
> That should be no problem on a 64 bit architecture.
>
> > I want to know if this is possible before spending 10,000 euros on a machine
> > that has 16 GB of memory.
>
> If you want to spend that amount of money on memory anyway, the extra
> cost for an AMD64 machine isn't that large.
>
> > The machine we plan to buy is a HP Proliant Xeon machine and I want to run a
> > 32 bit linux kernel on it (the xeon we want doesn't have the 64-bit stuff
> > yet)
>
> AFAIK you can't use a 15 GB tmpfs on i386 because large memory support
> is basically a hack to support multiple 4GB memory spaces (some VM guru
> correct me if I'm wrong). Just get an Athlon64 machine and run a 64 bit
> kernel on it. If compatibility is a problem, you can still run a 32 bit
> i386 userland on an x86_64 kernel.
>

> Erik
>
> --
> +-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --
> | Lab address: Delftechpark 26, 2628 XH, Delft, The Netherlands
> -

Bastian, Erik is dead-on on that one: go 64bit and forget all worries
about your 15GB filesize. Just don't forget to look not only x86-64
(intel or amd) but also itanium, ppc64 and s390 machines, you never
know about surprises!

--
Greetz, Antonio Vargas aka winden of network

http://wind.codepixel.com/

Las cosas no son lo que parecen, excepto cuando parecen lo que si son.