Dual-core with kernel 2.4 (Red Hat EL 3)

Hallo, Linux folks!
(first post here)
I am trying to find out whether I can start using dual-core cpus with a
2.4 kernel (Red Hat EL 3).
Three questions below - please answer if you have any insight.
 - The first update to EL 4 announced "support" for dual core cpus both
   from AMD and Intel, but doesn't say what that support means. I would
   think with the right BIOS, the OS might distribute all tasks among
   all cores right out of the box, as long as you don't need any special
   parallel computing capabilities.
   Or will the kernel just not recognize the second core?
 - The most recent update to EL 3 (which is what I am using) does not
   say anything about dual-core. Does that mean there is no chance it
   will run on a dual-core chip, because it has kernel 2.4?
 - My application is multi process server type stuff. I'd like to use
   Intel dual chip boards. Are there any Intel dual chip dual-core
   solutions you can buy? I haven't found one yet.
 Cheers
 Hubert Schwarthoff