[RFD] FAT robustness

> I'd like to have a discussion about FAT robustness.
> Please give your thought, comments and related issues.

  What I would like is to treat completely differently writing to
 FAT (writing to a removeable drive) which need a complete "mount",
 and just reading quickly a file (a standard use of removeable devices).

 Basically, to read you would not need to mount the partition, just
 read /readfs/fd1 which uses two or three functions accessing /dev/fd1
 in raw mode to read the filesystem descriptor and the root directory.
 Same for /readfs/cdrom and /readfs/sda4 (USB drive).
 The only cache would be the one provided by /dev/fd1 - a kind of
 mount read-only at each file opening.

 This system would be disabled if the partition is already mounted
 read/write somewhere - but as long as you do not try to write to
 a removeable disk you can extract it at any time.

  The two or three function I am talking of are located in Gujin
 "fs.c" file to access read-only FAT12/16/32, EXT2/3 and ISOFS
 ( http://gujin.org ). Just few kilobytes - and some source
 modifications for that use.

  Etienne.