Re: [RFD] FAT robustness

Hiroyuki Machida wrote:
[...]
Q3 : I'm not sure JBD can be used for FAT improvements. Do you have any comments ?

I might not be the best person to answer this, but this just seems so obvious:

If you plan to let a recently hot-unplugged device to be used in another OS that doesn't understand your journaling extensions, your disk will be corrupted.

If this is supposed to work only on OS's that understand your journaling extensions, then there are much better filesystems out there with journaling already.

You might be able to reduce the size of the time window where hot removing the media will cause problems, like writting all the data first and update the metadata in as few operations as possible. But that just reduces the probability of data corruption. It doesn't eliminate it at all.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems
just with potatoes.
Douglas Adams