Re: Module option for compiled-in parts

>> I have added a module_param() to a component that is compiled in
>> (drivers/char/vt.c). Since it's not a module, will it still show a
>> /sys/module/WhatGoesHere/parameters/myvariablename file? What will be put as
>> "WhatGoesHere" as vt.c does not become vt.ko?

I actually done it, and a /sys/module/vt popped up, as expected.

>Interesting question.
>
>Are you adding one/some module parameters to vt.c ?

Yes

>I don't see any there.

It's my first.

>I have usbcore built-in (not a loadable module), and I still see
>in /sys/module/usbcore/parameters these files:
>
>blinkenlights
>old_scheme_first
>usbfs_snoop
>use_both_schemes
>
>but usbcore is "defined" as containing a list of .o files
>in drivers/usb/core/Makefile.

I don't know who's deciding what the * in /sys/module/* will be, but it seems
that the module name will become the one that is listed in obj-y or obj-m,
respectively.

In your usb case, this would be:
obj-y := usbcore
usbcore-objs := blinkenlights usbfs_snoop otherfiles uhci-hcd

Seems fine for me.

And vt.c is one that applies to obj-y

Jan Engelhardt