Re: pc_keyb: controller jammed (0xA7)

Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:27:01 +0200, Thoralf Will <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I didn't find any useful answer anywhere so far, hope it's ok to ask here.
>>I'm currently trying to get a 2.4.31 up and running on an IBM
>>BladeCenter HS20/8843. (base system is a stripped down RH9)
>>
>>When booting the kernel the console is spammmed with:
>>   pc_keyb: controller jammed (0xA7)
>>But it seems there are no further consequences and the keyboard is
>>working.
>

> I saw a patch for it by Brian Maly, and yes, it was for 2.4.x.
> Maybe he can send you a rediff against current Marcelo's tree.
>
> However, is there a reason you're running 2.4.31 in Summer of 2005?
> Did you try 2.6, does that one do the same thing? It has a rather
> different infrastructure with the serio.
>
> -- Pete

Meanwhile I've found the source of the problem. A simple change in
drivers/char/pc_keyb.c
line 73 did the trick.
- #define kbd_controller_present()        1
+ #define kbd_controller_present()        0

The only backdraw I've noticed so far is the problem that the kernel
won't work on servers with a ps/2 keyboard controller anymore (of
course) properly. But that's a minor issue.

We are still running 2.4 kernels because our application is incompatible
with the new thread library. A migration is already planned but that
takes time, alot of. I don't expect a migration to take place before the
end of the year, maybe even later.

Thoralf