RE: 2.6.9: serial_core: uart_open

My spec for the NS16550D and my experience show that the specific interrupt
source identified in IIR must be serviced or the chip will initiate a new
interrupt sequence at its first opportunity.

When I wrote a 8250/16550 driver for DOS it was driven from IIR directly.
If you don't take this approach, then you must certify that each and every
path through the irq driver must service all possible interrupt sources.

karl m