Re: sata_sil 3112 activity LED patch

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 04:15:12AM +0200, Christian Kroll wrote:
> I have tested the patch against my DawiControl DC-150 RAID controller
> which is basically an add-on card with a SiI 3112 ASIC and a flash ROM.
> The activity LED of my case is directly connected to the add-on card.
>
> Unfortunately your patch doesn't have any effect on the LED. The
> activity LED gets turned on by the card's BIOS at boot time and
> continues to shine until I shut down the computer.
> On the other hand it did not erase my Flash ROM and I haven't spotted
> any data loss so far.

No data loss is a good thing!  That was my biggest worry, as I have no
documentation for the addon card case.  Out of curiosity, did the LED
usage change at all before and after the patch, or was it totally
unaffected.  I would guess the latter.

Unfortunately, what documentation I do have shows (briefly) that add
on cards implement their LED via a different mechanism.  If I knew the
addresses for the flash read and write strobes (FL_RDN and FL_WRN), I
might be able to work something out.  So as it stands, there is not
much hope for the people with addon cards.

> If you require more information, don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks, I will.  I have emailed Silicon Image in the (slim) chance
that they will provide me with the information I require.  If they
come through then I might be able to whip something up and have you
test it.

If anyone has any data on the 3112a (or 3512 as I believe they are
register compatible) and isn't bound by an NDA, I'd like to hear from
you.

--
Aric Cyr <acyr at alumni dot uwaterloo dot ca>    (http://acyr.net)
gpg fingerprint: 943A 1549 47AC D766 B7F8  D551 6703 7142 C282 D542