Re: Why is 2.6.12.2 less stable on my laptop than 2.6.10?

On 7/15/05, Chris Friesen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jesper Juhl wrote:
>
> > In my oppinion it would be nice if Linus/Andrew had some basic
> > regression tests they could run on kernels before releasing them.
>
> How do you regression test behaviour on broken hardware (and BIOSes)
> that you don't have?

That, of course, you cannot do. But, you can regression test a lot of
other things, and having a default test suite that is constantly being
added to and always being run before releases (that test hardware
agnostic stuff) could help cut down on the number of regressions in
new releases.
You can't test everything this way, nor should you, but you can test
many things, and adding a bit of formal testing to the release
procedure wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html