Re: PREEMPT_RT and I-PIPE: the numbers, part 4

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> So why do your "ping flood" results show such difference? It really is
> just another type of interrupt workload and has nothing special in it.
> are you suggesting this is not really a benchmark but a way to test how
> well a particular system withholds against extreme external load?

Look, you're basically splitting hairs. No matter how involved an explanation
you can provide, it remains that both vanilla and I-pipe were subject to the
same load. If PREEMPT_RT consistently shows the same degradation under the
same setup, and that is indeed the case, then the problem is with PREEMPT_RT,
not the tests.

> so you can see ping packet flow fluctuations in your tests? Then you
> cannot use those results as any sort of benchmark metric.

I didn't say this. I said that if fluctuation there is, then maybe this is
something we want to see the effect of. In real world applications,
interrupts may not come in at a steady pace, as you try to achieve in your
own tests.

> and from this point on you should see zero lmbench overhead from flood
> pinging. Can vanilla or I-PIPE do that?

Let's not get into what I-pipe can or cannot do, that's not what these
numbers are about. It's pretty darn amazing that we're even having this
conversation. The PREEMPT_RT stuff is being worked on by more than a
dozen developers spread accross some of the most well-known Linux companies
out there (RedHat, MontaVista, IBM, TimeSys, etc.). Yet, despite this
massive involvement, here we have a patch developed by a single guy,
Philippe, who's doing this work outside his regular work hours, and his
patch, which does provide guaranteed deterministic behavior, is:
a) Much smaller than PREEMPT_RT
b) Less intrusive than PREEMPT_RT
c) Performs very well, as-good-as if not sometimes even better than PREEMPT_RT

Splitting hairs won't erase this reality. And again, before the I get the
PREEMPT_RT mob again on my back, this is just for the sake of argument,
both approaches remain valid, and are not mutually exclusive.

Like I said before, others are free to publish their own numbers showing
differently from what we've found.

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits