RE: Head parking (was: IBM HDAPS things are looking up)

--- Alejandro Bonilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> > --- Pekka Enberg <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > parked"

> > > haji ~ # hdparm -i /dev/hda
> > >
> > > /dev/hda:
> > >
> > >  Model=HTS726060M9AT00, FwRev=MH4OA6DA, SerialNo=MRH453M4H2A6PB
> >
> >  OK, different FW levels. After upgrading my disk to MH40A6GA my
> head
> > parks :-) Minimum required level for this disk seems to be A6DA.
> Hope
> > this info is useful.
>
> Martin,
>
> 	Simply upgrading your firmware fixed your problem for being to park
> the
> head?

 Yup. Do not forget that FW is very powerful. Likely the parking
feature was added after A6BA.

 Basically I saw that the only difference between me and Pekka was the
FW (discounting the different CPU speed and Kernel version). I googled
around and found the IBM FW page at:

http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-41008

 Download is simple, just don't use the "IBM Download Manager". Main
problem is that one needs a bootable floopy drive and "the other OS" to
create a bootable floppy. It would be great if IBM could provide floppy
images for use with "dd" for the poor Linux users.

 Then I pondered over the risk involved with the update. Curiosity won
:-) And now the head parks. BUT - I definitely do not encourage anybody
to perform the procedure. Do at your own risk after thinking about the
possible consequences ...

 Anyway someone reported a non working  HTS548040M9AT00 with FW
revision MG2OA53A. The newest revision, from the same floppy image, is
A5HA.

Cheers
Martin