Re: realtime-preempt-2.6.12-final-V0.7.51-01 compile error and more problems

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Carlo Scarfoglio wrote:

> Compilation stops at this point:
>
> make[1]: `arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s' is up to date.
>    CHK     include/linux/compile.h
>    CHK     usr/initramfs_list
>    CC      net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_proto_tcp.o
> net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_proto_tcp.c: In function
> `tcp_print_conntrack':
> net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_proto_tcp.c:333: error: `tcp_lock'
> undeclared (first use in this function)
> net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_proto_tcp.c:333: error: (Each undeclared
> identifier is reported only once
> net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_proto_tcp.c:333: error: for each
> function it appears in.)
> net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_proto_tcp.c:333: warning: type defaults
> to `int' in declaration of `type name'
> etc. etc..
>
> Most likely it depends on the redefinition of DECLARE_RWLOCK in lockhelp.h

Same here...

> More problems....
>
> Patch 7.50-48 has been the first rt kernel that compiled and booted
> cleanly on my system.

-50-43 is the most recent out of the -50 series that's compiled and
operated cleanly on my Athlon box.  So far, it appears to be rock-solid.
I'd recommend giving it a try if you haven't already.

> I'm testing the rt kernels because I want to use jack as my system sound
> mixer/router
> and to record lp's with my ice1712-based sound card. I have no rt
> requrements, of course,
> but I want to get rid of xruns. Kernel 2.6.12 vanilla is quite good
> already (a big improvement
> over previous kernels) but still ...

Audio without xruns is an RT requirement, IMHO  ;-}

> Patch 7.50-48 been running for two days now and seems pretty stable but:
>
> 1) My logs are filled with Apic errors all like this
>
> Jul  5 04:30:01 linux kernel: APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)
>
> every 2 seconds, or minute, at random. I've never seen these messages
> before with vanilla kernels,
> so it's a bit weird.

Have you tried disabling CONFIG_X86_IOAPIC_FAST?  This is new in the
realtime-preempt patches.  It's currently stable on 3 out of the 4 boxes
I'm testing RT on.  On the fourth (P4 with an SIS chipset), it didn't seem
to make any difference.  I finally had to switch from APIC to PIC (in
BIOS) to get the APIC errors on CPU0 to go away.

> 2) Whenever I play an mp3 or watch a movie (through jack) I get
> thousands of times these errors in the logs
>
> Jul  5 20:45:56 linux kernel: `IRQ 8'[828] is being piggy.
> need_resched=0, cpu=0
> Jul  5 20:45:56 linux kernel: Read missed before next interrupt
> Jul  5 20:45:56 linux kernel: wow!  That was a 12 millisec bump
> Jul  5 20:45:56 linux kernel: bug in rtc_read(): called in state S_IDLE!
> Jul  5 20:45:56 linux kernel: `IRQ 8'[828] is being piggy.
> need_resched=0, cpu=0
> Jul  5 20:45:56 linux kernel: Read missed before next interrupt
> Jul  5 20:45:56 linux kernel: wow!  That was a 3 millisec bump
> Jul  5 20:45:56 linux kernel: bug in rtc_read(): called in state S_IDLE!
>
> This is a known issue, RTC  interrupts are missed. I have noticed it
> many times when ntp is
> running. It stops working after a few minutes of playing when the the
> error exceeds 500 PPM.
> But I thought that ntp compared external reference clocks to the system
> timer, so the system
> was missing int 0, not int 8.  My mobo has a crappy timer anyway. I had
> to reduce the tick to 9934
> in order to allow ntp to run.

Is the RTC the only thing on IRQ 8?  The last time I saw the 'IRQ 8 is
being piggy' messages on my Athlon box was when the RTC was sharing IRQ 8
with either the video or the USB.

> 3) I had to disable polling of the cpu temperature by kacpid because
> whenever it did the sound
> stopped for 1-3 seconds. The polling took longer and longer after a few
> hours of uptime.
> The nice thing is, it caused no xruns. Kernel 2.6.12 vanilla has the
> same problem, though.
>
> 4) Xruns occur every 10-60 minutes even when the system is practically
> idle (no playback
> or recording). When copying large files (between sata disks on two
> sil3112 controllers)
> xruns frequency is much higher.  When sound is used xruns occur every 2
> or 20 minutes.

Do these xruns coincide with the RTC 'Read missed before next interrupt'
messages?

Have you tried running JACK with a larger buffer period size?  Some cards
are perfectly happy with -p64, while others need -p128 or -p256 to be xrun
free for an extended time.  In the past, I've seen a difference between
running with 2 and 3 buffer periods (-n2 or -n3).

Also, have you tried bumping up JACK's RT priority?  If JACK is running at
a lower priority than the IRQ threads for your SATA, then disk activity
will most likely cause additional xruns.  I've had good luck running JACK
with '-R -P60', which sets it's realtime priority above all the IRQ
threads.

You may also want to run the IRQ threads for your audio hardware at a
slightly higher RT priority than the rest of the IRQ threads.

> This is a nForce2-mobo (Abit NF7-S V 2.0), Athlon 2800, 1 GB Ram,
> Terratec DMX6Fire,
> nVidia 4200 video card, 2 sil3112 sata controllers with 3 disks,etc.
> SuSE 9.1 with KDE 3.4 and
> uptodate jack, xmms, mplayer, sound libraries and recording apps.
>
> If more details are needed or I can perform some tests, feel free to ask.

If you haven't tried this out yet, jack_test4.1 should be a big help for
system tuning:

http://www.joq.us/jack/tests/jack_test4.1.tar.gz

Edit jack_test4_run.sh to change settings for JACK priority, number of
test clients, etc.  On your system, you should be able to run with 28 or
more clients without any xruns.

Best Regards,
--ww