Re: A "new driver model" and EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL question

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 22:44 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 05:12:02PM -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
[snip]
> Then take it up with them.  Users of those symbols have had many months
> advance notice that this was going to happen.
>
> > Was a decision to use EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL deliberate and if yes then
> > what considerations dictated it, other then the patch author wrote
> > it that way, and what drivers in question are supposed to use when
> > this change will show up in the mainline?  It looks that 2.6.13
> > will do this.
>
> Please see the archives for the answers to these questions.

The archives say:
Greg KH wrote:
> I have been recently advised that I should not change these symbols,
> and so I will not.
>
> Sorry for the noise and wasted bandwidth, will not happen again.
>
> greg k-h

Sourced from here:
http://hulllug.principalhosting.net/archive/index.php/t-52440.html

That was the way it was as of 2.6.10-mm1 and it stayed that way through
2.6.12.  When did that decision change?  If it was there in the
archives, I missed it in the search.

If this was a Greg-only decision, perhaps a patch reversing the change
addressed to Linus would get a solid yes/no decision from the top.

From what I gather in the archives, the last time this happened it was
just a leak from Greg's tree and not an official policy change.  It
isn't in the feature removal schedule, even though other _GPL changes
are listed there.
--
Zan Lynx <[email protected]>