Re: Why cannot I do "insmod nfsd.ko" directly?

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:23:39 -0400 Xin Zhao wrote:

| I tried to do "insmod nfsd.ko", but always got the error message
| "insmod: error inserting 'nfsd.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module"

The kernel message log would at least tell you what symbol
is missing and then you/we can determnine why and where that
symbol is located.  Maybe there's just another module that needs
to be loaded before nfsd.ko.  And try using modprobe instead
of insmod since modprobe will look for module dependencies.

| Why?
|
| The kernel is 2.6.11.10
| The command I used is:
| 1. insmod lockd.ko  ---succeed
| 2. exportfs -r   ---succeed
| 3. insmod nfsd.ko --- failed
|

| Moreover, I noticed that if I do the following commands, nfsd.ko can
| be inserted:
|
| 1. rpc.mountd
| 2. exportfs -r
| 3. rpc.nfsd 1
|
| Can someone explain what trick rpc.mountd and rpc.nfsd do to make
| nfsd.ko insertable?
|
| Thanks in advance for your kind help!

---
~Randy