Online resizing devices

I'd like to do an online resize of and XFS filesystem on a non-partitioned
device.  But, I always have to reboot to do so.

Say I have a sdc with 16777216 blocks and expand it on the SAN
to have 17825792 blocks, and rescan the device.

The xfs_growfs does not see the size, nor does blockdev --getsz /dev/sdc,
however, the I know the rescan worked because /sys/block/sdc/size now is
17825792 instead of 16777216.

Is there some reason for this?  Is there a fix for it?  I'm not using any
volume management stuff yet but would like to be able to grow our
filesystems without having to reboot to do so.

Andy