Re: reiser4 vs politics: linux misses out again

Jim Crilly wrote:

> On 07/02/05 09:05:41AM -0400, Ed Cogburn wrote:
>> Jim Crilly wrote:
>>
>> Assuming "fast and cool" here equates to some level of improvement to the
>> existing kernel, and/or new features/capabilities not currently
>> available, then are you saying "fast and cool" isn't good enough anymore,
>> you now have to be politically correct and socially popular and a master
>> brown-noser as well to get code into the kernel even just on an
>> *experimental* basis?
>
> Fast and cool by themselves shouldn't be good enough, infact fast could
> definately be optional

And please point out where anyone has said ANYWHERE that R4 is going to be
FORCED on people!  Stop accusing Hans of refusing to answer relevent points
when you're doing the same damn thing.

> Obviously you don't care about the code

Bullshit.  If the code doesn't work or is unstable or unmaintained then
everyone is concerned.  BUT THOSE ARE NOT THE ISSUES HERE.  Maybe Hans will
be a little more sociable towards you when you guys start being a little
more sociable towards him, or maybe he's just a jerk and will never change,
I don't know, and frankly I don't care, but R4 deserves its shot anyway
based just on its potential alone.  Its reached the point where it can only
get better with more *exposure*, and as I said in my response to Christoph,
-mm is not the place to get exposure from a wider audience, due to its
instability, even Andrew has said his -mm tree isn't meant to be a "stable"
kernel series.

In the meantime, if a fork does happen, I'm going with the one that gives
good ideas their chance at the mainstream no matter who the author is.  If
you guys really want to kill the Linux success story, just keep right on
putting your ego and personal feelings in front of what's good for the
users and good for the success of Linux outside your elite club.  And
before you tell yourself that the users don't matter, you'd better ask
around among all the *other* developers here why *they* are working on
Linux now, and not a BSD, or another fork of Linux.  Hint: many are
employed by companies whose customer's are ... Linux *USERS*.  Linux's
initial success was not pre-ordained or guaranteed, it was accomplished
because a core group of people started WORKING TOGETHER with a common
vision, if you now decide to forget what got you to this point, I GUARANTEE
YOU that the success of your version of Linux will not continue.

I know there are technical issues, in a few places by a few people, like the
thread Andrew started, they are still being discussed, but when we reach
the point where people say "fast and cool" is not good or desirable
anymore, without realizing how absurd that sounds, then the dispute has
clearly gone beyond the technical, and into the realm of the ego
stratosphere.  Believe it or not Jim, but I'm absolutely sure Hans really
wants whats best for Linux in the long run just as you do.  R4 deserves its
chance, so find a way to make it work, and that goes to Hans too.

Thank you all for bearing through this rant...

Flame retardant attire now in place, you may fire at your convenience
gentlemen.  :)