Re: FUSE merging?

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 6:15 am, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

Taking a quick glance at v9fs and fuse I fail to see how either
plays nicely with the page cache.

True, in fact it actively avoids using it. The previous version used both the page cache and the dcache with undesirable effects on synthetic file systems so we removed cache support. Our intention is to design a cache layer (similar to cfs on Plan 9) which handles cache semantics which can be parameterized with the appropriate cache policy depending on the underlying file server.

v9fs according to my reading of the protocol specification does
not have any concept of a lease.  So you can't tell if you are
talking about a virtual filesystem where all calls should be passed
straight to the server or a real filesystem where you can perform
caching.

While 9P contains no explicit support for leases and cacheing there is an informal mechanism which is used (at least for plan 9 file servers). If the qid.vers is 0 the file can be assumed to be a synthetic file and so it is not cached.

Neither implementation seems to forward user space locks to the
filesystem server.

Yup. We have exclusive open semantics but not locks in the Posix sense. Lock support is on our 2.1 roadmap.

   -eric