Where/how to start implementing vertical retrace interrupt interface?

If I have understood things correctly then X/x.org can
not provide a flicker free update of the graphics on a
display since the linux kernel does not provide a way
to synchronize to the vertical retrace of a display.

See
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2004-August/004561.html

If a person with little previous experience of the
linux kernel source tree would like to start on such a
feature then how complicated do you believe it is to
implement? (days or months of work)

Where in the kernel source is a good place to start
looking?

I'm not on the list so please CC me with your reply.

Peter