Re: updating kernel to 2.6.13-rc1 from 2.6.12 + CONFIG_DEVFS_FS + empty /dev

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 10:27:45PM +0200, Eric Valette wrote:

> BTW speaking of initramfs to hold the minimal /dev, in the embedded
> world initramfs has to be stored in flash as udev binary and eventually
> additionnal scripts, this represent flash memory (OK very little I have
> to admit but when you need to find 10K of flash or change the flash
> size...).

Why?  Why not put it in ROM with your kernel image, look at how the
kernel build process does it with the "built-in" initramfs.

If that doesn't work, initrd still works just as well for udev, that's
what RH does.

> I hope someone will pick-up your nano defvs proposal and enhance it to
> support a  version enabling to boot a system without anything in /dev.

I boot my boxes with nothing in /dev and have been for almost a year
now.  udev works just fine for this, and so do some other programs that
work like udev does.

I hope everyone can just forget about my nano devfs proposal, and just
pass it off as a example of someone who went temporarily insane.

thanks,

greg k-h