Re: PCMCIA still advised as modules?

On Jun 10, 2005, at 08:21:05, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
At least from 2.6.13 on, it will be much easier if you have the PCMCIA
"modules" built into the kernel, as you won't need userspace interaction any longer (except on old yenta_socket bridges during startup, but that's a different story). Therefore, I do not see any drawbacks to having the PCMCIA
modules built into the kernel.

Under such a setup, what is the easiest method to shut down the bridge chip for power savings? On my Debian laptop where said drivers are modular, I can run "/etc/init.d/pcmcia stop" to unload the module and disable the PCMCIA chip, saving a noticeable amount of power. Is there some equivalent for compiled-in
drivers?  Thanks!

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz