Re: [TTY] exclusive mode question

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 11:36:54AM +0200, moreau francis wrote:

> --- Denis Vlasenko <[email protected]> a écrit :

> > described)

> > application to
> > >
> > > Which is absolutely necessary to work if you think about an application
> > > like minicom and its file transfer helpers, which may need to re-open
> > > the serial port.
> > >
> > > TTY locking is done via lock files only, and all non-helper applications
> > > must coordinate their access via the lock files.  There is no other
> > > mechanism.
> >
> > I think original reporter is saying that TIOEXCL is nearly useless then.
> >

> Why not using mandatory locks instead of this "weak" user lock mechanism ?

As I've already said - helper applications.

There's another case as well.  Consider the following:

- getty is listening on the serial port for an incoming modem call
  (eg, mgetty)
- you want to make an outgoing call (eg, minicom)

Both have to co-operate with each other via the lock files to ensure
that they don't stomp on each other - and the point at which they claim
the lock is most definitely not at serial port open time.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core