Re: Linux-2.4.30-hf3

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 07:07:46AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Julien corrected me on the points below :
>
> >   - a NULL dereference in serial.c found by Julien Tinnes which could lead
> >     to an oops.
>
> Could possibly be exploited by mapping the first page of a program and
> watching the kernel eat the data instead of oopsing.

Huh? I fail to see how that one is exploitable, given that no in-tree callers
should pass "tty" as NULL to any of the affected functions (that is impossible,
AFAICS).

No? Julien?

> >   - an off-by-one in mtrr.c found by Brad Spengler and reported by J.Tinnes
> >     which could lead to a panic.
>
> This is inexact. I've checked several other archs :
>  - sparc, sparc64, x86_64, alpha, mips all assume that (n) is unsigned and
>    will overflow, possibly executing user-controlled code.
>  - ppc and ppc64 explicitly check that (n) is < TASK_SIZE and should be safe.

You refer to copy_from_user() right?  I suppose so, because there's no mtrr
outside i386.

>  - x86 will BUG_ON((long)n < 0) (=> oops/panic).
>  - others not checked.

Well, it requires root priveledges:

+    if (!len) return -EINVAL;
     if ( !suser () ) return -EPERM;   <---------------

So, its "safe".

> >   - a few unchecked strcpy() in ipvs fixed in PaX which I'm not absolutely
> >     sure are exploitable, but are definitely dirty and risky.
>
> They are exploitable by anyone with enough privilege to manipulate IPVS.
> Think of a user front-end for example.

Ok. Great Willy!